Girondins de Bordeaux 2-0 EA Guingamp

Fernando Cavenaghi's strike shortly before half-time and Fernando's close-range effort in second-half stoppage time saw Laurent Blanc's men match last year's triumph over Lyon in the traditional curtain-raiser to the Ligue 1 season, which was being played outside of France for the first time. 
Undoubtedly wary of succumbing to a similar fate as fellow Ligue 2 side Vannes in last April's League Cup final, where the Breton club found themselves three goals down after just 12 minutes, French Cup winners Guingamp began briskly. 
Victor Zvunka's men dictated play without threatening significantly even if Cédric Carrasso was called upon to cut out a menacing cross with Sébastien Grax lurking with intent. 
With Bordeaux newboy Jaroslav Plasil, who was placed on the right of midfield for his Girondins' debut, not yet on the same wavelength as his team-mates, the champions' most promising openings came on the opposite flank where Benoît Tremoulinas and Wendel showed the summer break had done little to diminish the understanding they had developed so fruitfully last season. 
It was the former who was at the heart of the incisive move that saw Blanc's men go ahead seven minutes before the break in Quebec. 
Released by a measured ball from Marc Planus, Tremoulinas found the unmarked Cavenaghi just inside the box, and the Argentine striker whipped a low shot past Stéphane Trevisan. 
Trevisan was then forced to race off his line to smother a ball destined for Marouane Chamakh as Bordeaux upped the pace, and the Ligue 1 side would have found themselves with a two-goal half-time cushion had Yoann Gourcuff not snatched impetuously at a chance created by a lofted pass from Wendel that had left the Guingamp back four flat-footed. 
The sizeable crowd packed inside the Olympic Stadium, many of whom were decked in the blue shirts of the French national side, were to see much less goalmouth action in a second-half punctuated by several changes in personnel on both sides. 
Chamakh, who has declared his desire to quit the Stade Chaban-Delmas and pursue his career in England, thought he had doubled his side's advantage with ten minutes remaining, but the Moroccan international's effort was ruled out by an assistant referee's flag. 
However, with the game creeping into stoppage time, Fernando ensured Les Girondins would leave Quebec with the prize, touching home after the ball had ricocheted kindly when a Gourcuff free-kick struck a post.