Leeds 1-1 Watford (2-1 AET)

Leeds were bidding for a sixth straight victory to the start the new season, and a larger than anticipated crowd turned our for the second round tie. 
The opening exchanges saw both sides mount early attacks, Watford goalkeeper Richard Lee collecting a Jermaine Beckford cross. Lee also came off his line well to clear a Jason Crowe cross after 11 minutes.
At the other end, one-time Leeds loan man Danny Graham latched on to an underhit header from Crowe to Shane Higgs, but the striker's touch let him down when faced with an opportunity to close in on goal.
On the quarter-hour Bradley Johnson tried his luck with an effort which flew over the top and moments later Higgs pulled off a fingertip save to deny Don Cowie.
Leeds created another good opening on 25 minutes when Beckford and Mike Grella combined to feed Snodgrass in space. The Scot's first effort was blocked, but he quickly regained possession, composed himself, and curled an effort over the top.
On the half-hour, Higgs another save to make when Will Hoskins shot straight at the Leeds goalkeeper after a good turn just inside the box.
But it was United who were in front on 38 minutes thanks to a first goal of the season from Snodgrass. Grella was again involved in the build-up, with a delightful lay-off, and Snodgrass delivered a superb finish, curling the ball past Lee.
Watford's response came via the lively Hoskins who forced Higgs into making another block from a low, angled shot. Higgs also saved from Tom Cleverley who made himself an opening after good work from Hoskins down the Watford left.
But in the final seconds of the half, Johnson, seeking a third successive goal, won a corner after trying his luck with a trademark powerful strike.
United also started the second half brightly, and Jonny Howson had an effort narrowly wide of the mark. Snodgrass, boosted by the quality strike in the first half, also sent an effort fizzing wide before the hour.
But the visitors were still a threat and John Eustace went close when Watford came forward.
It was an entertaining contest, Howson was again looking lively for Leeds in midfield, and Snodgrass again went close when he forced Lee into making a decent low save.
Grella had also been a threat throughout for Leeds and his intelligence led to Lloyd Doyley conceding a free-kick on the edge of the area on 70 minutes, which Eustace headed clear.
Moments later, the American was involved again in releasing Beckford, but Lee reacted quickly and managed to get enough on the shot to lift it over the top.
With 11 minutes left on the clock, Grayson made his first change of the night with Enoch Showunmi, scorer of the winner in round one at Darlington, replacing Beckford. Neil Kilkenny was also handed a late run out in place of the impressive Grella.
But it was a Watford substitute who made a decisive intervention with four minutes remaining when Marvin Sordell bagged an equaliser, drilling home a low shot beyond the reach of Higgs after Leeds failed to clear.
It looked like being enough to send the game into extra time, but as the clock passed the 90-minute mark, United mounted a final assault on the Watford goal, forcing the visitors to defend in numbers until Micky Doyle lifted a shot over the bar.
And in the final moment, Higgs made a save from a header, but the 90 minutes ended at 1-1.
It was United who started the extra period on the front foot, and eight minutes in, Snodgrass scored his second goal of the night to put Leeds back in front. The Scot again showed good composure to apply the finishing touch after latching on to a knock-on from Showunmi.
And it could have been three in the 100th minute of the night, but Doyle was denied by a superb save from Lee after a good ball by Andrew Hughes.
Chasing the game, Watford started the second period on the front foot, and Snodgrass picked up a booking in the 106th minute following a challenge in front of the West Stand.
Crowe was called upon to make a good block for United after Sordell's clever ball gave Henri Lansbury the chance to shoot.
At the other end, Showunmi was twice denied, first by a defender and then by the quick reaction of Lee. Both sides were clearly feeling the pace, but the openings continued, Eustace and Sordell both off-target for the Hornets. 
With four minutes remaining, as Snodgrass left the field to a standing ovation, replaced by Luciano Becchio, Lee again reacted well to thwart Showunmi.
Still the half-openings game. On 119 minutes, Watford skipper Mike Williamson escaped down the right, but his low pull-back fizzed across an empty penalty box and away to safety.
United responded in the final minute, Johnson sending a shot wide of Lee's left-hand post, and Leeds almost snatched a third at the death following a quick breal. Doyle met a Howson cross, but Becchio was unable to apply the finishing touch.
And that proved to be the last action of the game as United edged through to the third round of the Carling Cup.